S-10 Disk Brakes

BBarnhart
Newbie Poster

S-10 Disk Brakes

Post by BBarnhart »

I'm a new member as of today. The car I have a question about is a 1980 Chevrolet Monza. It has been modified with a GM Performance Parts ZZ2 crate engine, BW T5 transmission, S-10 5-bolt axles and brakes. I use 15" Monte Carlo Rallye wheels.

I purchased a Richmond ring and pinion from Jim in 2006 and will install it soon. I plan to remove the rear end housing from the car and do the work with the housing out of the vehicle. At this time I will sand blast the housing, repaint it and install new bushings at the suspension points upon reinstallation.

My question is about rear disk brakes. Will S-10 2WD or 4WD work with this housing? Has anyone attempted to use S-10 components for the rear disk brake modification? I'm installing 2004 S-10 2WD dual piston front brakes and spindles also, so I would like to use matching components.

Any help in determining if this will work (fairly easily) would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Bill
monzaz
Average Poster

Re: S-10 Disk Brakes

Post by monzaz »

Bill, if the monza housing has normal 4 bolt drum brake backing plates YES. If it has the 2 lower 1/4" bolts and the big tower single bolt axle flange, No. Another hurdle is ... The disc brake mounting flange seems to be about a 1/4 further back on the tube, which means the disc brake backing plate and or mounting bracket has more back spacing. I doubt the S-10 system will work unless you modify the way it bolts up to the axle backing plate flange.

Now if you use 1970-1980 trans am and camaro disc brake set-up they will work fine. We also sell an after market disc brake package for 499.00 which uses caddy calipers and camaro rotors and custom caliper mounting brackets and it works very well NO mods bolt on application and even comes with parking brake cables.

Check the attached picture for the flange distance as mentioned.
J D Race
BBarnhart
Newbie Poster

Post by BBarnhart »

Thanks for the reply. In the photo, which one of the housings is the Monza housing? Is it the one with the longer flange or the short one? If it is the longer one, wouldn't a spacer between the flange and the disk brake "backplate" bring the unit into proper position?

One other consideration is the difference between 4WD and 2WD S-10 rear brakes. The 2WD has a more shallow offset distance between the rotor and the flange. The 4WD appears to be almost twice as much distance. Could just changing the rotors solve this problem?

Bill
monzaz
Average Poster

Post by monzaz »

sorry for the delay. The longer tube is the s-10 4x4 and the shorter tube is the 2wd s-10. Monza is not pictured. Monza and vega and a negative back spacing on the backing plate. so you might actually be ok with the s-10 factory disc brake set-up from the 4x4. Jim
J D Race