Help please. 1969 camaro 10 bolt 8.2 disc brake conversion problems.

Mytide69
Newbie Poster

Help please. 1969 camaro 10 bolt 8.2 disc brake conversion problems.

Post by Mytide69 »

Hello, guys looking for any help on a 8.2 10 bolt. I've read through here . It is a 69 axle code 308. It has a 411 gear in it now. I bought inline rear disc brake conversion kit. Pulled the axles and put new backing plates on and disc's. Put the calipers on and drivers side fits perfectly but the passenger side the caliper will slide on with the inside brake pad but not the outside. Not enough clearance. The axles measure identical 29 5/8 . And it fits if I pull the center pin in the carrier. The passenger side axle slides in farther than the drivers side in the carrier. Everything measures the same side to side axle flange to hub. The axles bearing are identical. It's like the carrier is shifted or something. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you Brandon
monzaz
Average Poster

Re: Help please. 1969 camaro 10 bolt 8.2 disc brake conversion problems.

Post by monzaz »

Ok, Well.... Here we go...lol. Aftermarket parts... They are fun huh.
So we call those econo box disc brake kits everyone gets them from the same place and slaps their name on the box.
Do you have the exact part # of your kit?
Next - Who set up the gears?
4.11 gears may have moved the carrier unit over in the housing too far and this would make the one axle hang out father than the other side. ONLY C-CLIP rears do this... because the axle retention is in the side pocket of the carrier spider side gear.

You can remove the carrier caps after removing the cover of course take some pics of the carrier left and right bearings while in the housing and will see if the shim pack is close to equal on each side. IF you are more than a .100 difference your GOING TO HAVE THIS ISSUE!

NOW- depending on how much that axle is hanging out and how much you need here is a trick we had done before if it is CLOSE...many companies use the same pads...on the back of the pad is a sound deaden-er glued on pad. REMOVE IT. see if that gives you the clearance you need.

Jim
JD Race
J D Race
Mytide69
Newbie Poster

Post by Mytide69 »

Hello Jim,
Thank you for your time. Yes econo box disc brakes for sure. The kit was from inline brake and part number DBK1012. I don't know who set up the rear-end unfortunately. I bought the car this way years ago. I believe you are absolutely correct . The carrier is shifted over to the passenger side 3/8 of a inch. I actually put the bracket on the outside of the axle flange and it fits perfectly. The problem now is both sides the caliper bolts actually are touching the disc and when you tighten the bolts it spins the disc. Lol not enough clearance at all. I have contacted the company and getting the run around. Either I got the wrong calipers or there brackets are drilled wrong. I can't get a response out of them so yes learned a valuable lesson. I can't get the pictures to load for some reason. Kinda of lost on what to do at the moment. Thank you
monzaz
Average Poster

Post by monzaz »

Check your email for a message from JD Race sales. I gave you my personal email address.
Look in the junk mail too. Just incase.
THEN you can send pictures there or I will get you my phone number too if you need for the pics.

Jim
J D Race
monzaz
Average Poster

Post by monzaz »

I have seen some of the plates drilled wrong too where the caliper bolts are at an angle and or just too close to the rotor. :(

You might have too large diameter rotor also .

Jim
J D Race